Teaching and Teacher Training
1. Teaching in Higher Education
I have been teaching at universities in Germany and the UK in the fileds of language learning, teaching and assessment, intercultural communication, and research methodology. I have supervised MA and MSc students as well as PhD and EdD students in English Language Teaching and Assessment, and Intercultural Communication.
- Teaching at the University of Bremen: Teaching methodology, Evaluation, Assessment adn Testing, Reseacrh Methodology, Social Consequences of Language Tests, Teaching, learning and assessing languages in the context of migration
- Teaching at the University of Warwick, 2009-2015: lectures, seminars and tutorials for undergraduates, graduates und postgraduates in the areas of Intercultural competencies: conceptualisation and assessment, Language teaching methodology, Language testing and assessment, Evaluation, Research methods (qualitative and quantitative)
- Teaching at the Universität Augsburg, 2002-2007 for the departments 'Didaktik des Englischen' and 'Deutsch als Fremdsprache': seminars for undergraduates and graduates in the areas of implementing the Common European Framework of Reference, intercultural communication, assessment and rating of productive skills
- Supervisiom of graduate and PhD students: a total of 19 MA/MSc dissertations and seven PhD students
- Organisation Post-graduate Student Conference at Warwick, 2009-2012.
- Moderation of Young Researcher Conferences of the DGFF.
2. Seminars and Workshops in Teacher Education and Professional Development
I have been active in teacher training since 2006 in the areas of language testing and assessment, implementation of the Common European Framework, introducing a new evaluative culture in the German school system, amongst other topics.
I have provided over 40 training seminars and workshops for teachers in Germany, the UK, Singapore, Saudi-Arabia, Finnland, Austria, Italy amongst other destinations, and I have trained teachers in test and evaluation projects, e.g. at the IQB, Humboldt-University Berlin, in the Länderverbundprojekt „Lernstand 6“ and at the University of Warwick.
I covered the follwoing tooics:
- Implementation of the Common European Framework of Reference and educational standards at schools and universitie
- Enhancing and assessing communicative and intercultural competences
- Development and validation of assessment instruments: principles and practice
- Assessing written and oral learner production: rating approach
- Quality assurance in educational contexts: external evaluation and monitoring
- Assessment Literacy: fundamental knowledge and skills in evaluation and assessment, appropriate use of assessment instruments, and means of educational quality monitoring.
3. Teaching Experience at Secondary School Level
07-09/2000 Deutsch in Deutschland (DiD)-Language-course Holidays Augsburg, Germany for Teaching German as a foreign language for non-academic purposes at secondary level.
1999-2000 Pädagogischer Austauschdienst PAD [Pedagogical Exchange Service]: Assistant Teacher in Huddersfield, England, Technical College. Teaching German as a foreign language at secondary level.